Originally Posted on June 14, 2012 by Dr. Gail Feldman
Most people, given the scientific evidence showing that meditation provides benefits like stress reduction and enhanced cognition, know it’s a good thing to do for their overall health. Here are six ways that sex provides similar benefits:
The Secret Health Benefits of Sex:
1. Pain Relief: Oxytocin and endorphins relieve headaches, muscle cramps and overall body aches.
2. Sleep: The deep relaxation that follows orgasm allows for better sleep.
3. Strength: Increased blood flow to the brain and heart result in more oxygen to the organs and better performance in and out of the bedroom.
4. Fitness: Sexual intercourse burns 150 calories every half hour and improves body-image. Higher testosterone and estrogen levels fortify bones and muscles.
5. Energy & Creativity: Hormones released during sexual activity improve cognition functions, opening the mind and stimulating creativity.
6. Longer Life: Two orgasms a week can increase your life span. The hormone DHEA boosts the immune system, repairs organ tissues and along with other hormones, leads to greater happiness- one of the best indicators of longevity!
For those currently without partners, my two women friends and “sexperts,” Dr. Lori Eanes and Dr. Beverly Whipple, say that self-induced pleasuring provides the same benefits.
So, what’s the link between sex and meditation? Brain waves. Sexual arousal activates alpha, theta and beta brainwaves, which each correspond to a different set of emotions; alpha = readiness, beta=focused awareness, theta = relaxation. It is the theta waves that appear during both orgasm and deep states of meditation. While in the Theta state, the mind is capable of deep and profound learning, healing, growth, and connecting to the Divine.